The Middle Layer
Middle Edge Pieces
- Look for an edge piece on the bottom layer that doesn’t have the bottom color on it. For example, if yellow is the color of the bottom center, look for an edge piece that doesn’t have yellow on it.
- Find where the edge pieces belongs. For example if solving the orange and green edge piece it will belong in between the green and orange center pieces. Hold the cube so that the place you want the edge piece to go is in the front right (FR position).
- Turn the bottom layer until the edge piece that you’re solving matches up with one of the center pieces. If solving the green and orange center piece it will either match up with the green or orange center.
- Do one of the following algorithm to move the edge to the middle layer.
- If the edge piece matches on the F face then do D’ R’ D R D F D’ F’ See Figure A
- If the edge piece matches on the R face then do D F D’ F’ D’ R’ D R See Figure B
- If you have to move an edge piece from the middle layer to the bottom layer hold the cube so that the edge piece you want to move down is in the front right (FR position) and do D F D’ F’ D’ R’ D R This is helpful if there are no pieces on the bottom that belong in the middle.
- If there is an edge piece in the middle that is flipped incorrectly first move it to the bottom layer by doing D F D’ F’ D’ R’ D R, and then reapeat steps 2 - 4.
If the edge matches both centers (Figure E) then the edge is solved.
Do these steps for all of the edge pieces on the middle layer. Once all of the middle edge pieces are in place then you can move on to the last layer.